By Sydney Baker
Welcome to Baker’s Corner, Panther Press‘ new spot, giving you recipes and ideas for those potluck dinners or just a night when you feel like baking. I will give you step-by-step instructions to make the most delicious and artistic treat for the season.
Is it a waffle? Is it French toast? Is it a cookie? Yes!… It’s all combined into a special treat for the wintertime blues. This recipe has been passed down through the family and baked every year with a dash of love mixed into each batch.
1 2/3 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup melted butter
1 Tablespoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon salt
- Grease waffle iron and turn to medium high
- Separate egg whites and yolks
- Beat egg yolks and set aside egg whites
- Using a hand mixer, beat flour, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, salt and beaten egg yolks until a crumble texture
- Fold in egg whites separately
- Drop balls about 1 inch wide onto waffle iron (I use two small spoons for size)
- Bake for about 2 minutes or until slight color in middle
- Take out and set on wire rack (I use two forks to take out)
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over warm cookies (put parchment paper underneath for easier clean up)
- Cool and enjoy!
Makes about two dozen cookies.